The Mortal Instruments: Filming Begins in April

MTV: Let's talk about "Mortal Instruments."
Collins: That is going to be a whole new world for me. When I found out I was cast, I found out that people were tweeting about me getting cast as their heroine. I know that I'm playing a character in a book that is very popular, but I forget that books have so many fans, that if they don't agree with the casting, it could go terribly wrong. I was so grateful that all these people were tweeting like, "Oh, we're so excited. We totally see her as Clary, and we can't wait to see what she'll do." I don't know what I would have done if people responded negatively.

MTV: Tell me about the audition process.
Collins: Actually, this was the first time I actually didn't audition. They offered me the role. I had just done "Priest," which is from Screen Gems and directed by Scott Stewart, and this project is being directed by Scott Stewart at Screen Gems. So the role I did in "Priest," if the movie does well and goes to a sequel, there are many of that character's traits that I can also find in Clary. I guess they felt passionate that they saw certain characteristics as well, and they felt confident and really believed in me. I'm in still in awe. When I got that call, I was like, "Wait, are you talking about an audition?"

MTV: Is that the next thing you're filming?
Collins: Yeah, I'm supposed to start this in early April. There are other things we're in talks for, but that's my next big project.

MTV: Of course, first you guys have to cast Jace Wayland? Do you have anyone in mind for the part?
Collins: Jace is an interesting one. He's incredibly charming. He's savvy in that he knows he's charming and he works that charm, and he knows he's attractive and can work his way into any situation. But at the same time, he does have insecurities. A lot of actors may not want to show a side of themselves being insecure. That's what Jace does, and I feel a lot of people can relate to him. A lot of guys do feel insecure, but don't want to admit it. A lot of the fans has been tweeting that [they want] Alex Pettyfer. I don't know the process.

MTV: Do you think he'd be a good fit?
Collins: Yeah! He's also going to have a great 2011. The fans of a series like this have such a strong opinion on who they feel would be great as a character, and I feel that's very backed up because they know the characters in and out. I trust a lot of the fans in their opinions. I don't know if there are going to be auditions or anything. I've heard Logan Lerman thrown out for Simon. These are from fans, and I'm excited to see their points-of-view. I've also heard about actors I may never have heard of, because they're more on the independent side. That brings a whole other thing, because an unknown doesn't bring in a whole lot of background. You don't want a new character like this to have people think, "Oh, they've done that already," or, "I can only see them as this kind of character." So I hear that and go, "Wow, maybe an unknown could bring more to this role." Hey, I was an unknown not too long ago, and I was like, "Let me do it! I can prove it to you!"

You can read the rest of the interview at MTV.



2 comments :

  1. AH!!! Where is this filming so I can go stalk the set. Muahaha. :P

    I am so pumped for this movie. Like more pumped than any other book that is going to film. They better not fudge it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I know. This was the second book series I read after Twilight and I loved it and so sad when I thought the series was over at City of Glass. I can't wait to see who is cast as Jace and Alec. Alrc and Magnus is yummm. =D

    ReplyDelete