Review: Hunted by the Others by Jess Haines

Title:  Hunted by the Other
Author:  Jess Haines
Series:  H&W Investigations, #1
Publisher:  Zebra
Release Date:  May 1, 2010
Pages:  337
Rating:  


Shiarra Waynest's detective work was dangerous enough when her client base was strictly mortal. But ailing finances have forced her to accept a lucrative case that could save her firm - if it doesn't kill her first. Shiarra has signed on to work for a high-level mage to recover an ancient artifact owned by one of New York's most powerful vampires. As soon as Shiarra meets sexy, mesmerizing vamp Alec Royce, she knows her assignment is even more complicated than she thought. With a clandestine anti-Other group trying to recruit her, and magi being eliminated, Shiarra needs back-up and enlists her ex-boyfriend - a werewolf whose non-furry form is disarmingly appealing - and a nerdy mage with surprising talents. But it may not be enough. In a city where the undead roam, magic rules, and even the Others aren't always what they seem, Shiarra has just become the secret weapon in a battle between good and evil - whether she likes it or not...

 I found Hunted by the Others one of those light urban fantasy reads and in the beginning it did appeal to me, but after those first few chapters I was greatly let down.

I felt like the main character was so unlikable that I had to put this book down every chapter and pick it up again. Shiarra is a detective that works in the area of the supernatural, but she is oh, so terrified of them. And I am just in the mind of thinking why is this woman the heroine of the story. She also doesn't know anything about any of the supernaturals. I found her quite annoying at times, and sometimes it's hard to be able to read a book when you hate your heroine.

Another thing is we here that Shiarra broke up with her ex boyfriend that is a were previous to the start of this book and the reason for the break up is because he is a were and didn't tell her. Okay...I have read many books for break ups previous to the start of the book and this is so lame. Couldn't their break up be something different?

The one reason why I wanted to push through this book was the one and only, Alec Royce. I heard rumor of a hot sexy vampire and those rumors are true. Alec Royce is the definition of HOT! I wanted to keep reading this book for him and only for him.

The plot of this book was a little slow and I skimmed half the time while reading this and I don't think that is a good sign. I also think that none of the characters, except Alec Royce were appealing enough to continue. This book is fast paced which is good, but it just to appeal to me enough to keep going. The book would be best described as average.

3 comments :

  1. I went to buy this book just last week but my store didn't have it... maybe that's a good thing since I cannot read a book when the main character is unlikable. Thanks for your review! If I end up reading this one anyway, it will definitely be from the library.

    Kaity - Bitten Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I read it awhile back and really liked it. I kind of liked Shiarra's flaws. Sure it could be annoying, but I never found myself totally hating her.

    Like your honest review though!


    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry this didnt connect with ya =/

    Hope you give bk2 a chance... a lot of Alec Royce in it LOL =D

    ReplyDelete