Review: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep

Title: Web of Lies
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin, #2
Publisher: Pocket
Release Date: May 25, 2010
Pages: 400
Rating:

Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.
I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren’t aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coalmining tycoon, I’m beginning to wonder if I’m really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a real hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I’m a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn’t made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man . . . dead or alive.

I have to say that I'm impressed. WEB OF LIES has exceeded my expectations this time around and I am looking forward to zipping through this series fast. I have come to love these characters even more except *cough*DonovanCaine*cough*, I didn't think an assassins life could get anymore exciting, but boy, was I wrong.

Our heroine Gin is retired or at least she is trying to stay retired, but being The Spider, the best assassin out there has been calling for her to get that excitement back in her life. Gin has relaized it's become quite boring being retired and being an assassin is the most exiting thing ever. After months and months she comes face to face with the man she wants, who doesn't really want her, Donovan Caine.

"You're running away because your morals are more important to you than anything else, including what you could have with me." 

Donovan Caine has gotten on my last nerve since book one and it hasn't gotten any better. I honestly found Gin's and Donovan's relationship nothing but lust. Between Spider's Bite and  WEB OF LIES I did not see a real relationship because of they way he constantly treats her and the way he acts. I mean all he did was fuck her and went on his merry way and talk about how wrong she is all the time. I'm honestly sick of it.

"You turned your back on me at the mine because you were glad I was dead," I said. "Because the choice to be with me had been taken out of your hands, and your precious morals were still intact. And then I popped up again, still alive. And you were right back to square one. That's the real truth, isn't it?"

The god honest truth of the matter is Donovan was a sorry excuse of a love interest and I am still trying to figure out why Gin wanted him. Like Gin said she always had to make the first move in their so-called relationship. But thankfully Gin can move onto better things now, meaning Owen Grayson.

Owen Grayson shrugged. "I don't know what Detective Donovan Caine thinks or wants, but I consider him to be an enormous fool." "Why's that?" He stared at me. "Because he's down there looking for Dawson, and I'm up here with you."  

Finally we have a new love interest and he is Owen Grayson. To be honest I would've taken anybody other than Donovan Caine. I swear it to god I would've. But Owen is more than I could've ever dreamed of. Okay, nothing has really happened with Gin and Owen yet. But he is cute, hot handsome, a total flirt and makes his intentions towards Gin very known to her. Oh, god. I can't wait to get more of this hottie in the next book.

"I have to confess I was quite surprised when you strolled into the ballroom tonight," Grayson began. "I hadn't expected to see you here, especially not wearing that cheap blond wig." "Don't care for blondes, do you?" I sniped. "Sassy brunettes are more my style." He grinned.  

Other than the love interest drama we have Gin taking down another target that is doing bad rather than good in the world. And also there's the fact that her dead foster father, Fletcher left her a mysterious folder about who she was and what all went down the night her mother and sisters were murdered and Gin finds a huge secret that makes her question the now dead Fletcher Lane.

There was enough action in WEB OF LIES keep me on the edge of my seat and lot more flashbacks to Gin's life when Fletcher Lane took her in off the streets and I am really looking foward to finding out more and more about what went down the night Gin's family was murdered as well as what will become of her and the delicious, Owen Grayson.



3 comments :

  1. I love, love, love Owen. Donovan can suck a fat one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit I never hated Donovan like so many do BUT Owen is definitely the better man for Gin and the one I'd pick any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete