Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Title: Fifty Shades of Grey
Author:  E.L. James
Series: Fifty Shades, #1
Publisher: WCS Publishing House
Release Date: May 25, 2011
Pages: 380
Rating:

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

After hearing so many good reviews from friends about FIFTY SHADES OF GREY I decided to give it a try. This is BDSM and I would say that if you are just starting in the genre it is a really good book to start out with, but unfortuately I did have some problems with this book. The plot line of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY revolves on the H/H Christian and Ana meeting and they become attracted to each other, and it leads to being involved in a BDSM relationship.

This book seemed like it was young adult at times because the characters were too immature at times or they made idiotic decisions, the plus was it was quite easy to read and fast-paced like most young adult books are for me. Our heroine, Ana was a bit annoying at the start of the book, because she always gushed about how hot Christian, the hero of the story was and kept having thoughts like I want him, I want to sleep with him, I want to kiss him. And she came of like a teenager from a young adult for me and they fact that she is a virgin doesn't help her case.

I think the positive to Ana is that she has no idea that the world of BDSM exists and she questions wanting to do with, but at the same time knows that if she doesn't want to she could lose Christian. Whenever she is around him though he has an effect on her where she can't think straight and they end up doing it.

At the beginning of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY I loved Christian because he had that mysterious air to him and I thought he would become a character to be obsessed with, so wrong on that one. Part of me likes his soft side, the side where he has a bad past and the other side hates his dominating personality. The absolute alpha male character I have read about is Barrons from Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series and Christian is far worse than him. Don't get me wrong I love my guys hot, and dominating, but at a point there is a line that just cannot be crossed and Christian has crossed it.

Christian is way to dominating for my tastes and he treats Ana how I never would want to be treated by someone I love or ever see in any books I read between the hero and heroine. I mean I know he loves her, but he has a sick obsession with BDSM which I understand why from his past, but still. I hate the way he treats Ana. I find it unacceptable from a hero and I do understand that this is a different genre, and they way he treats her could've been far worse, but this is my first BDSM novel.

I found Christian to be a bit annoying at times like Ana was. Christian has this weird obsession with food. He asks Ana if she has eaten, she says no and he takes her out, and when she doesn't eat, he demands she eats and I imagine he's scary when he says so. It is just so weird this trait he has. He became very creepy and stalker-ish and I don't know. Part of me likes him and the other part doesn't.

Ana has a roommate who is Ana's friend, Kate. I've seen this way too much in young adult books. The best friend is too damn nosey and can't mind her own damn business. Kate was really annoying and if I was Ana I would tell her to keep the fuck out of my business because honestly it was none of her business to begin with butting into Ana's relationship. This is Ana's first relationship and she needs to deal with it on her own. I mean how would you feel if your best friend butt in to everything that had to do with your best friend. I'd honestly dump Kate at this point.

The ending brought tears upon my face. I thought it was so well written, and just for the ending I'll consider possibly at some point continue with the next book in the series, no promises though. The characters mostly annoyed me, and maybe quite a few things could be improved on, but I guess I'm too damn curious. Plus I thought this series has such great potential as well and I still do. I probably won't read another BDSM book again besides maybe the others in this series because I imagine FIFTY SHADES OF GREY is quite a light read compared to some of the others and BDSM really makes me uncomfortable, which makes me very happy FIFTY SHADES OF GREY was a light BDSM book.

No comments :

Post a Comment