Review: A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

Title: A Hunger Like No Other
Author: Kresley Cole
Series: Immortals After Dark, #1
Publisher: Pocket
Release Date: March 28, 2006
Pages: 360
Rating:

A mythic warrior who'll stop at nothing to possess her . . .

After enduring years of torture from the vampire horde, Lachlain MacRieve, leader of the Lykae Clan, is enraged to find the predestined mate he's waited millennia for is a vampire. Or partly one. This Emmaline is a small, ethereal half Valkyrie/half vampire, who somehow begins to soothe the fury burning within him.

A vampire captured by her wildest fantasy . . .

Sheltered Emmaline Troy finally sets out to uncover the truth about her deceased parents -- until a powerful Lykae claims her as his mate and forces her back to his ancestral Scottish castle. There, her fear of the Lykae -- and their notorious dark desires -- ebbs as he begins a slow, wicked seduction to sate her own dark cravings.

An all-consuming desire . . .

Yet when an ancient evil from her past resurfaces, will their desire deepen into a love that can bring a proud warrior to his knees and turn a gentle beauty into the fighter she was born to be?

A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER was a big surprise, because under that horrible cover and title there is something amazing inside this book. A beautifully written story that I came to absolutely love. I guess I should always remind myself not to judge a book by it's cover.

A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER is another one of those destined mate books, but it's one of those destined mate books that was done right this time. Lachlain is the hero of this story and he is Lykae and king, which is a werewolf and he starts out in the book finding his mate, Emma who happens to be part vampire, part-valkryie. Though he thinks she is just a vampire so in the beginning he scares her horribly, not caring since he has an attitude that she is the enemy and she is just a vampire.

Lachlain was hurt and vampires is his enemies, so I understand why he was so cruel to Emma in the beginning, but still it was hard to read the beginning and a little scary. But as the story goes on he softens up on her and becomes totally swoon worthy. Lachlain is so sweet and gentle once you get to know him and he has that sexy scottie accent. May I swoon again, PLEASE?!

Emmaline is our heroine and she is unlike any heroine I have ever read about. Emma has that shy personality to her and is untouched and it makes for an interesting heroine. This bothered quite a few people, her weakness, but I actually liked it because it was a good change, most heroines are strong willed woman. I thought Lachlain and Emmaline were a good pair.

There were parts in A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER where I was bored and also parts seemed to drag on a bit, and I got tired or the narration, but still this was a great read and I wish I would have read this book sooner, but at least a fair amount of books are out in the Immortals After Dark Series. I cannot wait to plow through the rest of them and hope they are equally if not more enjoyable.



2 comments :

  1. I have the first few books of this series sitting on my shelf untouched. I agree that the covers for the beginning of the series are a bit weird but they do get better.

    Thanks for the great review, I will have to read this one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! one of the few romance novels I really like! =P But I do like the cover! the characters are the same!! =P yay! at least loL!

    ReplyDelete