Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Series: Everneath, #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Pages: 384
Rating:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

EVERNEATH was a very interesting book. I liked it and I didn't like it. Almost the entire book sort of dragged on for a bit for me. I'm not sure if it was the storyline or all the flashback scenes. Or maybe I just expected so much more from this book.

Nikki, the main character was just okay to me. I didn't hate her or anything, but she just didn't seem as strong as other heroines in books. She seemed a bit weak to me. In this book there were quite a few of going back and forth between the present and the past and it felt a little bit annoying to me.

The present seemed to boring because I sort of didn't know what happened in the past yet to understand what the hell is going on in the present. You know what I mean? And the past flashback scenes came slowly.

"That looks cozy," I said in a timid voice. 
He turned at the sound and --taking in my appearence--immediately spit hot chocolate all over. "What?" I demanded. "Breathtaking." 

I really enjoyed Nikki's supposed ex boyfriend, Jack. I think I am Team Jack. He reminds me of Kimberly Derting's, Jay from The Body Finder Series. He is everything I would want in a boyfriend. He is sweet and caring and he makes your heart flutter like crazy. I immensely enjoyed the flashback scenes when Jack was apart of them. He'll definitely become a favorite for many readers.


"I have all the time in the world. What in your infinite knowledge of me, makes you think I'd ever give up?" 

Cole is the bad boy who brought Nikki to the dark side and Nikki broke free from his clutches and he is still trying to get her back. I am not sure about Cole yet. He is the bad boy and litterly evil guy to Nikki in the book, but throughout the book and by the time you finish the book you know that Cole actually cares and wants Nikki as his as in love with her.

Nikki wants nothing more to do with Cole but I have a feeling he isn't going anywhere. He is still convinced that Nikki is his. EVERNEATH was good, but I think I just expected something different from what I got with EVERNEATH. I think I'll read the next book to see what happens since the ending was sort of a cliffhanger.



11 comments :

  1. I had pretty much the EXACT same response to this book! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hehehe! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review, I like to be prepared if a book is not like I'm expecting. It sounds interesting, so I'm sure I'll still check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way!! It was hard really getting into the present because we had no idea what happened in the past. It was annoying. This is the first review I have seen that felt this same way. I keep seeing so many glowing reviews and I was starting to think maybe I missed something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know! It was weird though. I thought it was going to be this amazing paranormal setting and everything, but everything turned confusing and whatnot. In my opinion, it didn't deliver.

      Delete
    2. It really didn't, and its such a shame because the cover is so pretty.lol. I just didn't connect really with the characters. I think the going back and forth is what did it. We never really fully understood anything throughout most of the book.

      Delete
    3. I just hate it when the cover is so stunning but the contents within the book is not. Because I was seriously obsessed with the cover! Haha!

      I think the only thing I liked was really the Jack and Nikki flashback scenes. I thought they were cute, but the rest of the book was like meh. I don't like being confused while reading and that's exactly what this book suffered from. Confusion.

      And another thing. I didn't really understand what the hell Everlings were. I got a small little idea by the time the book ended, but still that wasn't really explained it great detail in my opinion.

      But I'm so glad I"m not alone in not connecting with this book. :)

      Delete
    4. I am glad too because I was kind of confused after I seen other people giving it 5 stars and talking how wonderful it was and I am sitting there like what were you seeing that I wasn't.lol.

      I was confused most of the book. Maybe she should have started at the beginning then worked her way through instead of breaking it all up like it was. The Jack and Nikki flashbacks were cute, but not enough for me to love either of them.

      This cover is kinda like The Demon Lover cover (except The Demon Lover is blue) and I loved that book so at least I will have something pretty on my shelf.lol

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you about Nik..she could've been a stronger MC...nothing about her really popped or made her stand out to me. I honestly loved the book because of the guys...OBVIOUSLY! :P

    I think i'm a bit more of a Cole Cuddler! I favor him just a tad! But i love Jack too!! GAH! Can i have both?!?

    I'm really curious to see what'll happen in book two though!! We only have...over a year to wait. -__-

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really love either boy. I mean I liked them but I didn't know enough about them or something.

      Delete
    2. Okay, Brooke. You can have Cole, but I'm taking Jack. XD

      Delete