Review: Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters, #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: March 6, 2012
Pages: 384
Rating:

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. 

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her. 

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…

It seems these days that angel books have been letting me down greatly. They've been okay, but not great beyond words. It was the same with EMBRACE. Maybe the problem could be that my expectations for angels books are too high or that I'm not not into angel books all too much because from all of them I have read I'm not really ever got a WOW reaction from the book. EMBRACE was good and enjoyable, but it didn't reach my expectations.

One huge thing is I couldn't really relate or care much about the characters. I mean at points within the book I was into them, but that was only when something majorly exciting was happening. But the characters didn't stand out to me.

The love interests do make you go swoon, but they seems too perfect. I mean I couldn't really choose a side because they both, again, didn't stand out in any way to me. One was basically a hottie and the other was another hottie that was considered on the evil side of things.

I did love the romance scenes though. Violet and Lincoln was really intense and there's a forbidden romance type thing going on, which I would really like a real reason for the romance being forbidden. But Violet and Lincoln were hot! And, for some reason I didn't care much for Phoenix, but I felt like he was just a second wheel, because it seems obvious that Violet wanted to be with Lincoln and I felt like Violet was using Phoenix and things seem to have gone to far in my opinion.

There were just small little things in EMBRACE that bugged me a bit, but basically I did enjoy the book to some extent, where it was a good read and enjoyable a little bit, but overall I wouldn't call it one of the best I've read.



10 comments :

  1. I haven't heard of this book before. But I do not care for a lot of Angel books out there. There really are only a few that I like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've read quite a few and there was like I think only one I really liked. All the others fail for me. The book started out good but towards the middle I started to get bored and annoyed.

      Delete
  2. Oh Amber, I love Angel books!;)

    Mariya-Well at least the cover was pretty!!! Hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is this book is already out in other countries as well as the second book. Haha! I like the US cover better as usual! ;)

      Those damn covers are too addicting.

      Delete
    2. I know!!!
      Sometimes those covers do us dirty...causing us to think the book is going to be better.;)

      Delete
    3. I really do not like when Angel books get to religious on me, that is where I stop liking a lot of them. There are a few. Rosalie Lario has a series with sexy fallen angels and well I love those. I did like Unearthly and Angel Burn too. And I think that is all.

      Delete
    4. That may be what it is. I don't like the religious stuff either. I like trying new paranormal creatures other than my love for vampires, but I think angel book may be a no-no for me now since I"ve tried tons of them and I have only likes like 1 or 2 of them thus far.

      Delete
    5. There was not a whole lot of religion in this one though. The author even goes so far as to break away from the idea of Heaven and Hell so I wouldn't say this one was too religious.

      I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, I was in love with Phoenix from the moment we first see him in the book. He just was the perfect male character for me.

      Thanks for the great review

      Delete
    6. I mean in other angels book the history/research/religious stuff in the angel books that I had read didn't work for me and I guess I'm just not a fan of angel books b/c for some reason I just can't seem to stay interested in them.

      Though Embrace was probaly one of the better ones of those I have read.

      Delete
  3. Hmm I got this to read as part of a tour. Haven't read it yet though, but I don't read that much angel books, so maybe it'll be better for me? Great review!

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete