Review: Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Triumphs
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels, #10
Publisher: Ace
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Pages: 352
Rating:

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be.

Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later, a confrontation is inevitable. The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows their time is up.

Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try.

For her child.

For Atlanta.

For the world.

Hi, Dad, it's me. I know you're trying to kill me, my husband and our son, but guess what, all is forgiven, I need your help. Ugh. I'd rather walk on broken glass. 

The Kate Daniels Series is one of the few series I have enjoyed from start to finish. And MAGIC TRIUMPHS is no exception. I have enjoyed every single book in the series and I am sad it's over. Things happened that I didn't expect, the plot, the characters, the story, it made me want more! So when the end came, I was like, "fuck, now what?"

MAGIC TRIUMPHS opens with Kate giving birth to their son and things are relatively normal for Kate for a while until she is thrown into another big mystery and let me tell you, this one is BIG. On top of that we got a mystery box on her doorstep and she's not really sure of the message inside it and she's busy making sure Roland doesn't get her hands on her son.

Now before starting MAGIC TRIUMPHS I thought this whole book was going to be dedicated to bringing Roland down. I was caught off guard, but the plot twist was so amazing. This BIG mystery involves people dying in a bad way, but it connects to a terrible enemy of Kate's Family, obviously from Roland's side of the Family. And as soon as this is revealed I am totally bummed that this is the last Kate Daniels book because I FREAKING LOVE Kate's family history! Let's just say Kate is a busy bee in the book for all the shit she is occupied with.

Now this big long lost family enemy was done so well. We know how strong Erra and Roland are. I mean Kate and Curran were barely able to defeat Erra, but this enemy was someone Erra and Roland were barely able to defeat, so you know they are strong and I loved that. So Kate thought Roland was their biggest problem, boy was she wrong, this guy's 10X worse. I am insane, but I loved the villian. I swear Ilona Andrews is the only one to get me to love people I'm suppose to hate.

"Don't you want to wait until after dinner?" I murmured into his ear and licked the corner of his jaw, tasting the rough edge of his stubble. "Fuck dinner." 

Kate and Curran in this book were amazing as always. Kate obviously will do anything to make sure her son and Curran live, even killing herself. But Kate, you married a stubborn man. Kate has plans in motion to make sure her husband and son survive, but Curran set some things in motion as well. I'll just say he did something BIG. And my mind is thinking how is that possible? Ugh. I can't say more, it's hard to spill and not spill at the same time.

Okay. Conlan Lennert. Gimme! I want one so bad!!! Kate and Curran's son. I FREAKING LOVE HIM!!! I'm sure eveyone will love him. It's always fun when kids are thrown into the mix, and he was definitely fun! Conlan was quite the mystery because of Kate's magic and Curran being a shapeshifter, so what was gonna come out of two very powerful alphas? I'll just say we are STILL finding out stuff about this kid. I will beg you right know, Ilona Andrews, I NEED a Conlan book!

I knew Hugh and Elara just had to be in this book. I mean it's the final book and come on, we need everybody against this huge upcoming battle. Now if you haven't read the Iron and Magic aka Hugh's book, please go back and read it before you read MAGIC TRIUMPHS. Anyways Hugh is here to atone and Kate isn't really sure what to think. And we get to here a little about Hugh's past. Obviously after Hugh's book I love him. Hell! Even before that I loved him. But in MAGIC TRIUMPHS you get a little bit of clarity into Hugh and what a blood bond really means.

"It may prove foolish." "If it does, I'll deal with it," I told her. "Spoken like a queen." My aunt ran her ghostly fingers through my hair. "I finally made you into one." Too bad I've run out of time. 

Erra, Kate's Aunt made fantastic character development from when we first met her to the end of the series. I am really glad where Ilona Andrews took her character. She went from unbeatable enemy to mother figure for Kate and I absolutely loved that. And also that despite who Erra was when Kate and her first came face to face to now, Erra is an actual part of Kate's family. Erra is an example of what we wish Roland could be. Let me tell you though Roland is a whole other story.

We see so many moments in the series with Roland and Kate that are perfect father and daughter moments that you wish that he could be more to her. And I will go more in depth with this once this book is out. But I will say I didn't expect this ending for him, but it is genius. (view spoiler) Roland disappointed me. Family should be held above all. After everything, Erra got that, Roland didn't, (view spoiler)

Now MAGIC TRIUMPHS had such a satisfying ending, but I refuse to believe that is it, because this series has tons of side characters with outstanding stories that NEED to be told. I will say this is the end of Kate's story, but for the rest of them, I don't think so. I was left with so many questions for all of the other characters. Ilona Andrews is something amazing to be able to hold my attention for 10 complete books and making me not want it to end.

As I previously said, the Kate Daniels Series was amazing start to finish and without a doubt will always remain to be one of my all-time favorite series. I know Ilona Andrews will write more series I will gush over and I look forward to all their future projects. All I will say is Good-bye, for now.



1 comment :

  1. I love this review. Also I am so excited for Ryder since I agree with you that there are too many stories to be told. IA is on my fav list too. After I find her with Burn For Me, I never stopped following her.

    I skipped Huge's book, then I read it LOL. Cuz i love IA.

    ReplyDelete