Review: The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley

Title: The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
Author: Jennifer Ashley
Series: Highland Pleasures, #3
Publisher: Berkley
Release Date: August 2, 2011
Pages: 298
Rating:

Lord Cameron Mackenzie is intrigued when he finds the pretty widow, Ainsley Douglas, hiding in the window seat of his bedchamber. Cam remembers Ainsley Douglas all right—six years ago, he’d caught her in this very bedchamber, during a house party in the Mackenzies’ Scottish manor. Enchanted by her ingenuous excuses, he decided to seduce her, but stopped shy when she’d made a rather touching appeal about her “good husband who didn’t deserve to be heartbroken.”

Later, Cameron learned that her visit to his bedchamber was part of some female intrigue against him, the kind his late wife used to practice. Ainsley protested her innocence, but Cameron’s anger made him never want to see her again. Now she’s back, at another houseparty—and Cameron finds the gray-eyed minx in his bedchamber, again. Her excuses are just as ingenuous, but this time Cameron is determined to teach her a lesson.

They have unfinished business, Cameron tells her. He asks her how many of her many buttons she’ll let him unclasp, promising that before the houseparty is over, she’ll be asking him to undo them all.

Ainsley’s dismay is real. She’s on a mission to prevent embarrassment to Queen Victoria, and time is running out. Though the needs he’d stirred long ago during her unhappy marriage rise again, she knows it would be foolish to fall for love-them-and-leave-them Cameron Mackenzie.

But he asks her a question that challenges her beliefs about love and happiness, and she finds herself risking all to be with the black sheep of the Mackenzie family.

THE MANY SINS OF LORD CAMERON was not quite what I was expecting, but it was still an enjoyable read. I enjoyed it, yes. But I felt maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Cameron and Ian are similar in a way that they both are tortured heroes and have a bad past. Cameron was married to Lady Elizabeth and she was the worse wife in existence. Elizabeth never respected Cam at all. Before and after they got married she would sleep around with different men. Lady Elizabeth sickens me to no end. What kind of woman would do such a thing. She deserved to die and I think she should've suffered much more.

Our heroine of the story, Ainsley is able to save Cameron bit by bit and she becomes his light. Cam hates the idea of marriage, of having a wife, but not with Ainsely. She is so different from all the woman he has slept with because she cares! Ainsley cares for Cam. She doesn't care for his money like the rest of the lot do, but loves Cam for Cam and means so much to him.

To be honest, there were quite a few things that bothered me in this book. For one, it took some times to warm up to Ainsley. I have gone back and forth on her until the end of the book. Ainsley is the queens lady in waiting and she also had quite a bad past as well, but it really felt like when she was falling in love with Cam and she knew that she loved this man and when the queen came calling she packed up her stuff and just left.

I am just sicked by her obsession with the queen. She has pointed out the reason she stays is because it is a good job, good money. But what the hell, what about Cam, he has enough money to take care you you and you both love each other. I understand this past she had about not wanting to be a disappointment to her family, but family always wants their loved ones to be happy and I was annoyed she didn't figure that out until the end of the book. I guess I was really annoyed with her decision making.

Cam was Cam. Six years ago he found Ainsley in his rooms, and she is his little thief. He fell for her and she is the reason he is able to heal. He can't share a room with anybody and because of his late wife, Lady Elizabeth made his life complete hell, but Ainsley is able to make everything better. Cam's son, Daniel I honestly could not stand in this book. Every time he spoke he sounded like such a smart ass and I didn't like it. I understand his upbringing, but I don't know, I really didn't like him.

Now onto the better things in life. The oldest Mackenzie brother and Duke, Hart's book is next and we meet his love interest in THE MANY SINS OF LORD CAMERON. Yes! I absolutely love Eleanor. She was there to give Ainsley a little bit of advice about her choice to run away with Cameron, and we do get a few glimpses of her talking about Hart and an actual scene with Hart and I love her! I can't wait to read about they're book next. It sounds like I am really going to love this woman! I already do!

All in all, not my favorite book in the series. Of course Ian's book still takes the gold. But  THE MANY SINS OF LORD CAMERON takes second for now. Hopefully Hart's book will change that. It was a good read but I wasn't as absorbed in it as I was with Ian's book. I still love this series and can't wait to read more Highlander Pleasure books!



1 comment :

  1. This has been in my TBR list since it came out, but I didn't know it was part of a series. Guess I better check that out before I start since I like to read in order. And it's been awhile since I have read a highlander book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete