Review: Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Title: Lover Unbound
Author: J.R. Ward
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5
Publisher: Signet
Release Date: October 1, 2007
Pages: 502
Rating:

In Caldwell, New York, war rages between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Now the cold heart of a cunning predator will be warmed against its will...

Ruthless and brilliant, Vishous, son of the Bloodletter, possesses a destructive curse and a frightening ability to see the future. As a pretrans growing up in his father's war camp he was tormented and abused. As a member of the Brotherhood, he has no interest in love or emotion, only the battle with the Lessening Society. But when a mortal injury puts him in the care of human surgeon, Dr. Jane Whitcomb compels him to reveal his inner pain and taste true pleasure for the first time-until a destiny he didn't choose takes him into a future that cannot include her...

I find it quite funny how the Black Dagger Brotherhood books are going for me. I find myself in a pattern. I go from liking the first couple books to disliking the next few. It's really strange actually and I thought I'd like LOVER UNBOUND too.

Going into LOVER UNBOUND, I really loved the prologue or chapter 1, I don't remember at this point really, but it was the part where Jane finds out she is destined to be with a man named Vishous. And I completely swoon over that part, because it's like how beautiful is that? The more I read the more I fall in love with Jane's side of the story, her being a doctor and I totally go Grey's Anatomy all over myself. LOL

And I imagine all the doctors hooking up. Oh, and I fell in love with Manny, the head doctor with a temper that was so hot and sexy at the same time! I fell in love with him just from his introduction and forgot all about Vishous, so I think that screwed it all up for me, maybe.

Anyway soon after, I really started loosing interest in the storyline between the main couple and it really became such a bore to me that it was a repeat to how I felt about the previous book, Lover Revealed. It was really sad because I was hoping to really like this book. A lot of the times I was going, "ARRGHHHH, when is this book gonna end?" It was very long too. I doubt I'd be saying anything about the length of the book if I liked it though. Haha!

Good news is I adore all the little side stories behinds what's going on between the main couple. I enjoy the stuff with Blay, Quinn and John of course which made the book more bearable. The next book, ummmm... I have no idea when I'll read that one. I've heard horror stories about Phurry's book so I will not be reading it soon. I'll have to wait a bit for his.



12 comments :

  1. Lol. I knew you wouldn't like V's story.....I'm not much of a V fan, I don't hate him but he's not my favorite....Yeah Phurry is just annoying...but you'll love the two books after his. Lover Avenged is Rhevenge's book *sigh* I love him. Then after that is John Mathews book, Lover Mine....he's really hot in that book. Prior to reading his book he wasn't even on my radar. LOL. He is now!;)

    Qhuinn & Blay are my loves too, along with Zsadist. I still can't believe you love Manny enough to mention it in your review....ROTFL

    P.s. send me the preview of your cards to me I forgot to write you and say yes send them.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start crying. How can you both not like V!!! I love V! He is by far my favorite brother. I think the thing I liked best about Phurry's book was the look at Quinn and Blay. Phurry didn't do it for me but all the side stories were interesting in his book.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Yea. I mentioned Manny in my review! It sucked I didn't really like it. I loved the side story which I usually do, but I was seriously bored outta my mind with the main storyline. 8/

      @Miss Vain: I'll send you a preview soon. ;)

      Delete
    3. Oh Alexa when I wrote that about V, I thought of you and Mrs. Vishous!!! LOL. She would not be happy to hear me say that.you know what I actually enjoyed Vishous in his book better than I enjoyed him in Manny's book I seemed really cold in that book, and I don't like how he treats Mary. I actually hated the HEA The Warden write for him. Ughhhh......
      At least you don't have to share him with us. Lol.

      I'm hoping you lose this fascination with Manny.....it's so ugly, lol...I think you'll like his book though! I still love this entire series!!! I'm counting down the days until the next book! Hehe.

      Delete
    4. I was never a huge Vishous fan in the first place and that was the same with Butch. I have a whatever, he'd okay attitude, you know. I'm not a huge fan of BDB, but I did like the first three books to some extent. ;)

      Delete
    5. HAHAHA!!! Since you're such a big Manny fan but not a Butch fan I cannot wait until you read the last book that came out last year!! Lol ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm on Lover Revealed and I like it so far. I really felt bad for Marissa and Butch so I want things to turn out well for them. I can't wait to read V's story though. I'm sad you didn't like it. I've heard horror stories about Phury's book too so maybe after V I'll read something else because I read Phury. Just have to get through that to Rhevenge and John!


    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ning
      Phurry book is just frustrating because he's lame. He's nothing like his amazing brother Zsadist!!! ;) Rhevenge and Johns books are excellent.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I thought V was pretty interesting even with his itch for BDSM. I hope you enjoy the next books coming up in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you weren't into this one too much. I haven't read any books by J. R. Ward. I would like to give one a try. Where should I start?
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would start at the beginning of the series. Dark Lover...Even though book three in the BDB (Zadist's story) seems to be a LOT of people's favorite book. Each book builds off of the book before it so it just might be easier to start at the beginning.

      Delete
  5. Honestly I was hoping that I would be blown away by Vishous' book because he's a one of my favorites. I thought his BDSM stuff would be a little more erotic but it just came out creepy. The end of this book really pissed me off and I HATE what Ward did to Jane. I was just screaming NO FAIR at the end. It was such BS!

    ReplyDelete