Review: Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black

Title: Deadly Descendant
Author: Jenna Black
Series: Descendants, #2
Publisher: Pocket
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Pages: 355
Rating:

An ancient evil is unleashed in the modern world— unless one fearless P.I. can hunt it down. . . . Nikki Glass, Immortal Huntress, returns in this new novel in the acclaimed series by Jenna Black.

As a living descendant of Artemis the Huntress, private investigator Nikki Glass knows how to track someone down. But when an Oracle shows up, warning the Descendants about wild dog attacks in Washington, D.C., Nikki is afraid it might be a trap. The Olympians believe the “dogs” are really jackals, controlled by a blood-crazed descendant of the Egyptian death-god Anubis.

Whatever. . . . If Nikki hopes to muzzle Dogboy, she’s got to catch him in the act. But when she stakes out a local cemetery, she ends up face-to-snout with a snarling pack of shadow-jackals whose bite is worse than their bark. These hellhounds are deadly—even for an immortal like Nikki. “Dog” spelled backward may be “god,” but that won’t stop Nikki from teaching these old gods some new tricks. Like playing dead.

"He was beautiful and exotic and dangerous, all of which made him sexy as sin."

DEADLY DESCENDANT was absolutely AMAZING! For the life of me, I just could not put this book down. I couldn't until I flipped to the last page and STILL, I WANTED MORE! The Nikki Glass Series is one of my favorite new Urban Fantasy series and I am impressed at how much I am crazy for this series!

DEADLY DESCENDANT picks up right where Dark Descendant left off. Nikki is adjusting to life an immortal and learning more about it. This this thrilling sequel there is a serial killer out and about killing innocent people which actually turns out to be a death god descendant that is able to control a pack of jackals to do his killing for him and they turn out to be very lethal.

I moved to the other side of the room, Anderson following me. There’s no reason to be nervous around him, I told myself. He was still the same guy he’d been before I learned his secret.

Nikki seems to be quite terrified after the little revelation of Anderson in the previous book so things are a little awkward between them for a little bit. But I love Anderson and Nikki's friendship. It seems more like a father/daughter relationship so far. I know there are those who want them to be together-together and part of me wants to see if that will actually happen, but I don't know how I feel about that right now, but we'll see. But I love the relationship between them.

Even Emma didn’t know, and I doubted her finding out the truth would make their marriage any smoother. What Anderson saw in her—other than beauty—was beyond me.

Nikki found Anderson's wife, Emma at the end of Dark Descendant and she has just been through a major trauma. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought since this was Anderson's wife, she was going to be this sweet little flower and be another girl in the house that Nikki could grow a friendship with. BOY, WAS I WRONG!

Finding Emma was supposed to have cemented my position within Anderson’s Liberi. It was supposed to be the proof of my sincerity, the proof that I was not a secret Olympian spy. 

And it might ultimately turn out to be my downfall instead.

Emma is a little bitch! That caught me totally off guard. Threatening Nikki, being a bitch to everyone, possibly sacrificing innocents for her own selfishness? She is a manipulative little bitch. I mean, how can Anderson love a woman like this and why won't he open his eyes to what she has become? By the end I was happy what happened. I hope Anderson will come to learn that the Emma like he knew is gone.

Oh. My. God. I’d thought I was hot before. But that oh-so-tangible evidence of Jamaal’s desire seemed to set my very nerves on fire.

Nikki and Jamaal! I know there were some concerns from Dark Descendant because of all the shit that happened between Nikki and Jamaal, but it's a work in progress people! I don't have a doubt in my mind that they make each other better, that they are slowly strengthening each other. Both Jamaal and Nikki have had a bad past which I loved learning about and hopefully more will be revealed in future books. We had some pretty steamy scenes between these too and OMFG! THAT WAS SOOOO HOT! All I will say is, Jenna Black, please, I beg of you, I WANT MORE!

I’d been attracted to Jamaal practically from the first moment I’d laid eyes on him.

Overall, DEADLY DESCENDANT was simply amazing! I one concern would probably be that some characters were more centered in the book than others, so I felt like something was missing, but like I said it was simply amazing. I cannot wait for the next book in the series and I hope time flies by fast so I can get my greedy little hands on it!



No comments :

Post a Comment