Review: Here Be Sexist Vampires by Suzanne Wright


Title:  Here Be Sexist Vampires
Author:  Suzanne Wright
Series:  Deep in Your Veins, #1
Publisher:  CreateSpace
Release Date:  January 13, 2012
Pages:  266
Rating:  


Sam Parker is a vampire with a gift so strong and substantial that she is invited to partake in a test for a place in the Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. She finds that not only has the army never included a woman, but it has never included a Sventé vampire; a breed that is regarded by the super strong Pagori breed and the hypnotically beautiful Keja breed to be too tame and human-like. Most refuse to take her seriously, especially a Pagori commander named Jared who she craves in spite of herself.

The Grand High Master, however, sees her potential and offers her the position of Jared’s co-commander to help train the newest squad in time for the impending attack on his home. Sam has to demonstrate to Jared and the squad of chauvinists why it is incredibly foolish to underestimate a willful, temperamental, borderline-homicidal Sventé female.

Warning: This novel contains an iron-willed female vampire with an energy whip, a sexist male vampire who is determined to have her, explicit vampy sex, and a romance story with real bite.

How could you be attracted to someone who made you so pissed off that you’d considered burning their balls with a lighter?

The synopsis sounds so freaking amazing, as well as the reviews and I just had to give it a go. HERE BE SEXIST VAMPIRES was quite the book and I did like it, but me being me, I did have my issues with it. But, basically we have Sam Parker who gets recruited to be in the Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. And we have this sexist Vampire Commander, Jared Micheals, who has a big problem with women.

I would've liked this book more if they characters grew up way before almost the end of the book. First, let's talk about Sam. She has been through a lot. Her sire is pig. He turned her because he wanted her and used her basically as a sex slave and since she has these special gifts that are so rare he wanted her because of that. Her three years of a vampire and being in hell has made her a tough cookie. But she's a tortured soul.

Sam and Jared have this connection when they first meet. You know the hate/love relationship. At a point Sam accuses Jared of being just like her sire. So wrong. I feel like she didn't do any character growth through this book. I know she was tortured and still afraid to really be with someone, but she is letting that rule her life and in books, I just want my character to grow up and change a little bit.

She had kicked my ass, embarrassed me in front of God knows how many people, and even called me a pretty girl...and all I’d wanted to do was grab her, kiss her and bite her.

Don't get me started on Jared. I expected so much more out of him. He was way too childish for way too long for me. He was basically a total asshole through almost all the book. He did change for Sam to pursue her and all. But he gave her such a hard time at the beginning of the book and still in the middle it seemed, til almost the mid-end. I liked him when he finally grew up, but it took too long. And in my opinion he is still sexist.

I did enjoy watching the relationship between these two and the sexual tension. It was hot. And I loved all the side characters. My problem was character immaturity and the growth. As well as everything was just too long to process. And everything gets totally resolved and processed right at the end. I liked the concept of HERE BE SEXIST VAMPIRES, but it wasn't great. I will give the second a try since I still liked the characters in some extent and the plot of this series.




No comments :

Post a Comment