Review: Iron & Magic by Ilona Andrews


Title: Iron & Magic
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: The Iron Convenant, #1
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: June 26, 2018
Pages: 322
Rating:

No day is ordinary in a world where Technology and Magic compete for supremacy…But no matter which force is winning, in the apocalypse, a sword will always work. 

Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast. 

Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify. 

Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies? 

As the prophet says: “It is better to marry than to burn.” 

Hugh and Elara may do both. 

She spun on her feet and walked out. Behind her Lamar murmured, "One day that woman will drown you in the moat and I won't blame her." 

For real, I didn't think I was going to love IRON AND MAGIC as much as the Kate Daniels Series, but I do! I have no words that will do this book justice. It's just Oh.my.god. Just gimme more already! Now, I have freaking loved Hugh D. Ambray in the Kate Daniels Series since we freaking met him!

I don't know what it is, but hot damn do I love my bad boys. I was even at the point that if there was a Hugh and Kate thing, I didn't mind, I loved him that much! I was so pissed when we didn't see him anymore in the Kate Daniels World. I was like, What happened to my Hugh!!! But to hear he was not only going to get his own book, but his own trilogy?! The gods have answered my prays!

When we meet Hugh D' Ambray in IRON AND MAGIC he is in a very drunken state. Roland has exiled Hugh of failing him in bring his daughter to him. But come on, let's be real, who can make Kate do anything she doesn't wanna do? Not even Curran! lolz! Now the Iron Dogs that Hugh leads are being hunted down by Landon Nez, who is Rolands's left hand man. So Hugh needs to find a base for them.

"If you ever pull a demented stunt like that again, I will make your life a living hell." He bared his teeth at her. "You already do darling." 

And now we have Elara Harper, The White Warlock who needs protection. So an Alliance begins, though none of them trust each other. So for it to be a true alliance on the inside and to the outside there has to be a marriage. A marriage between Hugh and Elara who basically can't stand each other!

I greatly enjoyed Hugh's and Elara's constant bickering and fighting all the time. And also to mention trying to piss each other off because they enjoy the other's misery. There is definitely attraction there and the want for the other, and I am going to enjoy seeing this relationship develop further.

I loved like all of the side characters. I enjoyed getting to know the Iron Dogs and I loved getting to know Elara's people as well! After reading IRON AND MAGIC I can't say that I think Hugh is a bad man, he's not. He just followed the wrong man, but that couldn't be prevented because Roland is like the only father Hugh knows. Now I know after finishing IRON AND MAGIC this is the question on everyone's mind, but I just have to say it too, What the hell is Elara? I have to know! I look forward to finding out that's for sure!



No comments :

Post a Comment